A letter from Spanish lawyer Enrique J Batalla
Not an email scam, and not a scam which targets lawyers. However "Spanish Lawyer and Doctor in Law" "Enrique J Batalla" is targeting New Zealanders with a variation of the "Wow, you have the same name as my rich, deceased client. Let's steal some money together" scam.
Depending on how you interpret the ambiguous amount specified, either $9.5 billion or $9.5 million is up for grabs - although the kindly Mr Batalla insists that 20% must go to charity.
Unfortunately it appears that there is a genuine Spanish lawyer (and law firm) of the name being used, who is not involved in any way in the scam.
The letter is mailed from Spain in an envelope with a genuine Spanish stamp. It consists of a single black and white sheet of letterhead, headed "Batalla Abogados", purportedly a law firm based in Madrid. The letter is dated at the top, and there is the image of a date stamp at the bottom. The text:
Dear [Last Name, Initials]
Firstly, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction, this is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and top secret. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of the day.
Let me start by first introducing myself properly to you. It may surprise you receiving this letter from me, since there was no previous correspondence between us. My name if Mr. Enrique J. Battala Esq. (Spanish Lawyer and Doctor in Law) a personal Attorney to Late Engineer Frank [Same Last Name as letter recipient], an expatriate engineer who has worked with the Mining and Smelting Company (Asturiana de Zinc S.A. Spain).
My purpose of contacting you is for you to help me to secure his funds deposited with Spanish Bank before he died, to avoid it being confiscated or declared as unclaimed by the Bank. The fund value is $9.500, 000, 000.00 (Nine Million, Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars), this money was deposited by my late client before he passed away with her wife in a Fatal Car Accident on the 16th April 2010, he left the fund with no Will and up till today his relatives remained unknown.
As his personal attorney, the bank has issued me a final notice to contact his relative's or his next of kin or else the money will be declared as unclaimed and it will be diverted to the Government's Account. So far all my efforts to get a hold of someone related to my late client have been unsuccessful. Now, I have decided to look for A New Zealand Citizen that has the same surname with my late client so that I can present him or her to the bank. I have now contacted you and I am actually asking for your consent to present you to the bank as my client's Next of Kin since you share the same surname with him so that they money can be transferred to your account. All the legal documents to back up this claim as my client's next of Kin, I shall provide them. What I need from you is your full Confidentiality.
I wish to point out that I want 20% of this money to be shared among the Charity Organizations, while the remaining 80% is shared equally between us. This transaction is entirely risk free. I will use my position as the client's personal attorney to guarantee the successful execution of this transaction. If you are interested, please contact me via Tel: +34-652-278-321, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org upon your response. I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand more on this transaction.
The intended transaction will be processed under legitimacy, which will protect me and you from any violation of law. If you wish to achieve the goal with me, please kindly get back to me with your interest for further explanations and better understanding. Also be kind to let me know if you are not interested so that I can further my search to another Citizen that has the same surname with my late client.
Mr Enrique J. Batalla.